Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Ten On Tuesday No 23

This week I am very honoured to have Amanda Egan, otherwise known as @Mummy_Misfit, writing for Ten on Tuesday


Who are you and what do you do? I'm Amanda Egan and I'm the author of 'Diary of a Mummy Misfit' and 'The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit'  My novels take a humorous look at private education, the mothers you meet at the school gates and the chasm between the ‘Haves and the Have Nots.’

How did you get started with writing? I’ve always written, for as long as I can remember, but my son developing school phobia at the age of eleven eventually set me on the journey.  I needed to remain at school with him for three years - either outside the classroom or in the car park.  This led to me reading hundreds of books and then writing my own on a laptop in my car.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? Writing full-time and earning a comfortable living.  I’d also love to have my own writing shed.  Sadly that would mean I’d have to move as my townhouse garden is way too small.

Do you have an embarrassing crush? I do.  Geoffrey Palmer from ‘As Time Goes By’.  He’s craggy and ‘lived-in’ but has the driest sense of humour and fantastic comic timing.  I find all that incredibly sexy.

If a film was made of your life, who would you choose to play yourself? Meryl Streep.  She’s so incredibly versatile and can totally become the characters she plays.

Do you prefer Facebook or Twitter? I am a Twitter addict.  I think it’s probably because it’s so immediate.  You ask a question and instantly someone comes back with a reply.  As a writer, I never feel lonely now.  I’ve made some great friends on Twitter - some writers, some not - and I’ve sold most of my books through daft conversations that I’ve struck up with Twitterers.

What was the last album you bought? I’m blushing here but … Olly Murs!  His music makes me happy.  I know I’m a mother and not a teeny-bopper but so what!

Who makes you laugh? Apart from my husband, son, mum and friends, Tim Minchin.  He’s Australian and an absolute genius in my eyes.  He plays the piano and writes incredibly funny and complicated songs. I can watch him for hours.

What’s the worst present you’ve ever received? Oh boy, this is embarrassing (not for me, for my husband).  Before we were married, we bought a tiny one bedroom flat and were starting out with nothing.  For my birthday he bought me a food processor.  I was not best pleased!  I did go on to marry him though and he’s never stuffed up again - he now buys excellent presents.

What’s your guilty pleasure?  Chocolate - and although I should, I can’t say I actually feel guilty about it.  Why should I?  I love it and it tastes good so what’s the point of ruining the experience?  I am a firm believer that the minute you start to feel guilty about eating something, is when you start to pile on the pounds!
 


Amanda Egan is the author of two novels ‘Diary of a Mummy Misfit’  and ‘The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit’ available on Kindle at Amazon (currently on special offer at £1.91) and in paperback at Lulu.
She can be followed on Twitter @mummy_misfit
Her Wednesday blog can be found at Diary of a Mummy Misfit Blogspot
She is currently editing her 3rd novel - unrelated to the Misfit books.



Thanks so much for this Amanda. I recently ordered your novels and I'm really looking forward to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment, I'd love to read what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...